Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 10, 2009 AM


D to 4th to L to 5th right at the "fifth avenue building" to 6th through town square to 5th to D to work.

Humans are so good and interesting! They make my day. In the morning we wake up either alone or with our loved ones. After that our day expands to include the people we share our living space with. On any other day, I hardly see more than a handful of people before noon. On the days when I drive around, forget sharing much fresh air with strangers. But this whole week I have had an excuse to say good morning to so many people all in the space of an hour. Their short stories and ways they say hello takes me outside of myself and gives me something else to think about. This interaction with a community outside my private life now seems so important. That it feels so good must be deeply rooted in our development as humans living in groups.

On 4th avenue, the team holding down the bench next to the log cabin visitor's center was back. My initial guess was right, it was MA reading the newspaper! I met John, the smiler, yesterday when he waved Loren over to take our picture. Today I told him I'd get him a copy and he said he'd send it back to Little Diamede to show them what his girlfriend was like in Anchorage. Later, we blew each other kisses from across the street at the transit station. They keep each other company and watch Anchorage wake up together. Today was MA's first day with long pants on. He just finished taking down at the Fair. I really like seeing them on the bench together taking in the morning.

The sidewalks are a little safer for stilt walkers today because the city took down all of the hanging baskets. No more little carts driving around watering the flowers. I'm a bit sad at this because the flowers were at my perfect height for smelling.

Today I went to Kaladi's for my morning beverage. I just switched from the tall skinny latte to green tea. To my surprise the mayor was there. He was unsurprised. In fact he didn't make eye contact at all. We stood in line together for several minutes. This from the man who, after weeks of testimonials by gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer folks, said he didn't see an substantial evidence of the existence of discrimination. Now I realize that like my experience with him, he probably does see it, but chooses to ignore it and pretend like it's totally normal. He can see what's going on in this city and CHOOSES to put blinders on because it's easier. I'm not equating not being greeted by the mayor while I'm on stilts to the denial of civil rights, but I still think his ambivalence to something everyone around him is taking pictures of is very interesting.

To give him credit he did address me later as we were talking to the same barista about the upcoming show at Bernie's at 9 tonight. He didn't blink at the height though.

No comments:

Post a Comment